Friday, January 28, 2011

Surgery or IVF

Today was our appointment at Heartland. Like usual, it did not go as planned/expected/hoped for.

To start it all off, it was snowing and blowing like crazy. My auntie called me early in the morning, while I was still sleeping, and informed me that the roads were terrible. She advised me to stay home, but I called Eric to see if he could get off work early so we could get going. But he wasn't able to get away any earlier, and the drive in was very slow. We were 30 minutes late, but I had called to warn them so thankfully they still saw us.

At first Dr. K wanted to send me for and HSG, until I informed him I already had one. Then he told me he wanted to try a few months of what we were doing. Then Eric told him money was no object, (which it obviously is, but we wanted to move on and Eric wanted to make that clear), so then Dr. K decided that I needed to go for surgery.

He will not let me do an IUI without doing a surgery. He said it is either surgery or IVF. He wants to do a laprascopy and ovarian drilling. I am very nervous of surgery and I am not excited about doing it. It is fairly minor surgery, and I would only be at the hospital for a few hours. But an IUI is $2500 and IVF is $10,000. So we have a decision to make. As of right now, I have surgery booked for April 12th. We have a lot of thinking and praying to do.


A said...

will be praying for you as you decide :)

Brittney said...

Oh I'm so sorry, Lindsey. I realize this is a very personal decision, but I hope you might be able to seek a second opinion before going ahead with the surgery? My doctor was against doing laprascopy because he felt it was invasive and not necessary for IVF to have a successful outcome. I'll be praying for you and will be anxious to hear what you decide. ((HUGS))

© diary of a crazy person. Powered by