Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tallet's Birth Story - Part 1 - Before The Hospital

**This is a real birth story, so if you don't want all the dirty details, stop reading now**

Everything started with my prenatal appointment on Thursday. We packed and planned to stay the night in the city even by dropping my dogs off at my aunties. There was a craft sale on Friday I really want to go to. And I was hoping I would go into labor.

My blood pressure was still high at my appointment, so my Doctor recommended to do an internal check and if I was dilated enough she said we could do a membrane sweep. I wanted to avoid being induced in any sort of way, but I figured this was the most natural way and if it worked that would be great. I was 3 cm dilated and she did do membrane sweep and said there was a "very good possibility" that it would get things going.

My appointment was at 12:40, and because we had planned to stay the night in the city we had nothing else to do for the rest of the day but wait around. Eric need to get jeans so we decided to go to the mall and walk around hoping it would get things going. I did feel crampy already, but wasn't sure if it was because of having my membranes stripped or because something was starting.

We walked around the mall for a while, and then I decided I should probably walk a bit more so we went to Walmart. I went to the washroom in Walmart and learn that I had definitely had the bloody show/ lost my mucous plug. We walked around Walmart for a while and I figured I was having contractions but wasn't sure. I was tired go walking and hungry so we decided to go to my cousin Jo's where we planned to stay the night and order pizza. On the drive there I knew for sure I was having contractions, but they were very mild.

I sat on the couch and knit all evening, contracting every 6-10 minutes, sometimes longer. I thought for sure we would have to go to the hospital in the middle of the night. I didn't sleep a whole lot that night, and contractions stayed 6-10 minutes apart all night. I was scared to sleep because I didn't want labor to stop like it had before!

I decided to go to the Scattered Seeds craft sale after all, hoping that all that walking would get things out. We walked there for about an hour, I didn't find a whole lot that I wanted to buy.

We decided to go to the mall to grab some lunch from the food court, it was PACKED there and I ran into a couple of my aunties so we had lunch together. One of my aunties offered that we could go to her place to hang out for the afternoon. We walked around the mall, I bought a brush because I had forgotten mine and I wanted one for the hospital. Contractions seemed to get a bit stronger but nothing too close together.

I was starting to get kind frustrated and discouraged at this point. I had been having contractions for nearly a full day, and no progress (this seemed to be the song of my whole labor). We decided to go to my aunties to hang out. We went for a short walk there and then I napped for over 2 hours. I am SO glad I did!

We had an awesome supper at Moxie's, after which we planned to go to the mall to walk around some more and go see a movie. After our delicious supper at Moxies' I got up to leave and felt a few small gushed. I looked at Eric and told him I thought my water broke, and he didn't quite believe me. I didn't really believe it myself!

I went to the bathroom to check, and my pad I had on was quite wet but I wasn't sure if it was still the mucous plug or water. We went to the mall to walk and my contractions were a solid 4 minutes apart. I had a couple more gushes and figured we should probably head to the hospital now!

We got to St. B and when I got out of the car I had a huge gush of water, soaked my pad and my pants. I knew this was it!

It took some time to find the right place to get admitted, and we got admitted and I got checked. It was quite disappointed to hear that I was still only 3 cm dilates. The nurse told me she couldn't admit me yet and wanted me to walk around for an hour. I had a few very strong contractions while I was there.

I tried to walk around, but I had contractions that were so strong and so close together I could hardly move. We found the early labor lounge and I used the washroom and had contractions that were about 1.5-2 minutes apart with next to no break in-between. Eric tried to convince me to walk again, so we tried. I got a few steps out of the lounge and decided I couldn't do it. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet in-between contractions so I decided to wait out the hour in the lounge. It was awful having those contractions in a chair.

I waited out the hour in there, and asked Eric to go see if I could get checked again. They didn't even bother checking me, I got taken into a labor and delivery room right away.

**Time for bed today! I will post part two another day!**


Dayna said...

lindsey, you're pretty quick with the labor story. i'm impressed! i'm looking forward to the rest and love hearing your story after thinking about you almost non-stop for days! :)

All in His Perfect Timing said...

OH MY!! I can't wait for part II!!

Stacy Brookman said...

Thanks foor writing this

© diary of a crazy person. Powered by